I am a Toronto-based production sound recordist and boom operator. My basic kit, listed below, covers most production needs. Of course, it may be expanded as particular shooting requirements dictate.
- Sound Devices 633 Digital Production Mixer-Recorder
- Sennheiser MKH 50 super-cardioid microphone
- Røde shotgun microphone
- Sony wireless lav
- K-Tek Avalon KE110 Boompole
- Timecode Systems UltraSync One (x2 for timecode-syncing two cameras with sound)
- XLR and TC cables
- Tape and other expendables
Additional a la carte items such as comtek/IFBs, extra lav mics, wireless transmitters and receivers, and additional timecode sync boxes for multi-cam shoots of three or more cameras require sufficient advanced notice.