I am a Toronto-based production sound recordist and boom operator. My basic kit, listed below, covers most production needs. Of course, it may be expanded as particular shooting requirements dictate.
- Sound Devices 633 Digital Production Mixer-Recorder
- Sennheiser MKH 50-P48 super-cardioid microphone
- Sennheiser MKH 416-P48 short shotgun microphone
- Rycote Cyclone Windscreen with Windjammer
- Røde NTG-2 shotgun microphone
- K-Tek Avalon KE110 Boompole
- Timecode Systems UltraSync One (x2 for timecode-syncing two cameras with sound)
- XLR and TC cables
- Tape and other expendables
Lav mics, wireless transmitters and receivers, and additional timecode sync boxes for multi-cam shoots of three or more cameras require advanced notice.